It is the mission and intent of this position to take full responsibility for the Management and Leadership of a smooth running Culinary Operation and Maximize the highest level of standards at the Doubletree by Hilton Shenyang.
What will I be doing?
- All Restaurant Kitchens, including Pastry, Main Kitchen, Team Restaurant Kitchen, Chinese Kitchen, Executive Club Lounge kitchen, Stewarding, Occasionally off - Site Events.
- Planning, Preparation and Implementation of High Quality Food& Beverage Products and Set-up’s in all Areas and Restaurants.
- Seamless working with Recipes, Standards and Plating Guides.
- Maintenance of all HACCP aspects within the hotel operation.
- Correct usage of all equipment, tools and machines.
- Must focus on constant improvement of Training Manuals and SOP’s
- Must participate actively in Daily Quality initiatives (Daily Chef Briefings, Monthly Team Meetings) in order to constantly improve the Culinary operation, meet targets and keep communication flowing.
- Can be asked to work for off site events.
- Can be asked to complete tasks and jobs outside the kitchen areas.
- Can be utilised during inventories.
- All collegues have to be knowledgeable about occupancy, events, forecast and achievements.
- Preperation of menus as per request, in timely fashion.
- Working on new dishes for food tastings in combination of digital pictures.
- Attending service briefings.
- Communication of item 86 to the service team.
- Control of stations within the kitchen.
- Close working relationship with the Stewarding Department to ensure high levels of cleanliness and low levels of lost and breakages.
- Every guest request must be responded to complete satisfaction.
- Willingness to learn and adapt to changes
- Having a open-minded approach to constructive feedback
- Purchase and control of produce.
- Training of new team members.
- This is by no means an exhaustive list as it is subject to changes according to the nature of the business at hand, the menus content, or any other factors when duties might have to be re-defined according to the business pattern.
- Reviews the roster prepared by section chefs in advance that reflect business and high productivity whilst yielding a high degree of guest satisfaction.
- Keeps discipline and proper work practices for himself and the team members assigned to him at all times. Also checks on personal hygiene, clean uniforms, sanitation and cleanliness of the workstations, sanitation of the work tools. Be aware of the dangers of contaminated food and the needs to proper checking and turnover of the mise-en-place in the refrigerators. Reports to the Chef on any problems to take appropriate actions.
- Ensures that recipes and costing are established and updated.
- Select team member that display qualities and attributes that reflect the department standards.
- Monitor food quality and quantity to ensure the most economical usage of ingredients.
- Advise new menus and seasonal food concept changes.
- Liaise with the Chef’s on daily basis to advise of any challenges and that the guest will experience no delays during the service period.
- Check the quality of food prepared by team member to the required standard and make necessary adjustments.
- Monitors the overall food operation and ensures that food items are being prepared in a timely and correct manner.
- Responsible for overseeing the cleanliness, hygiene and maintenance of the kitchen and undertakes steps necessary to maintain the highest possible standards in this area.
- Attends communication meetings and is responsible for ensuring all team member in his area receives this communication.
- Maintain at all times a professional and positive attitude towards his team members, and supervisors alike, and behave in accordance to the established hotel rules and team member handbook for him and team member under his supervision. To ensure smooth operation of the department.
- Coordinate, organize and participate in all production pertaining to the kitchen. Checks and follow-up on the mise-en-place of the ala carte menu and daily menus, seasonal specials. Maintains the standards of preset recipes, portion control and costing at all times.
- Manages the training function and ensures all team member certified in their position before taking charge of an area of responsibility.
- Controls, monitors and is responsible for the optimum food cost to yield the maximum amount of outlet profit and maximum guest satisfaction.
- Works very closely with the Chef and meets regularly to determine menu selections and specials that is both satisfying to guest and profitable to outlet.
- Reviews all time sheets to ensure that team member working times and meal breaks are accurate.
- At all times understand, practice and promote the teamwork approach to achieve missions, goals, and overall departmental standards.
- Conducts culinary department meetings and communicates important hotel information to team member and receives feedback in the absence of the Chef, and communicates upwards to ensure a high level of team member satisfaction.
- To ensure that all team members have a complete understanding of and adhere to the Hotel’s Team member Rules and Regulations.
- The management reserves the right to change / extend this job description if necessary at any point of time during her / his employment.
- Carries out any other reasonable duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Positions directly reporting to this position (titles):
Specific Job Knowledge, Skill and Ability:
- A hands-on trainer who through coaching and leading by example can motivate and impress upon the team the right attitude and spirit of culinary excellence.
- Extensive knowledge of kitchen equipment and able to train team members.
- Working knowledge of mathematics.
- PC and basic software knowledge.
- Knowledge in HACCP.
- Ability to set priorities and to complete tasks in timely manner.
- Working well in stress situations, remain calm under pressure and able to desolve problems.
- Able to work in an moist, hot and sometimes loud environment.
- Able to work with and to consume all products and ingredients.
- Can convert recipes and follow them through.
- High School Diploma or equivalent. Better is major cooking.
- Up to date Sanitation Classes.
- 10-15 years as Head of Kitchen in 4/5 Star category Hotel or individual restaurants with high standards. And at least have 8years work as Main chef.
- Health Certificate
- Good command in English (verbal & written).
- Working experience in similar capacity with international chain hotels.
- Participation in additional culinary classes or seminars.
- International work experience .
- Creative and outgoing personality.
What will it be like to work for Hilton?
Hilton is the leading global hospitality company, spanning the lodging sector from luxurious full-service hotels and resorts to extended-stay suites and mid-priced hotels. For nearly a century, Hilton has offered business and leisure travelers the finest in accommodations, service, amenities and value. Hilton is dedicated to continuing its tradition of providing exceptional guest experiences across its global brands . Our vision “to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality” unites us as a team to create remarkable hospitality experiences around the world every day. And, our amazing Team Members are at the heart of it all!