The Marriott Mobile App team is seeking an experienced mobile product management leader to drive the growth of its mobile app products globally. As part of the overall Digital team, the Director of Mobile Apps will play a key role in advancing Marriott’s core mobile experience and in leading a set of cross-functional, agile product teams to define and deliver new app experiences across the customer travel journey.
The person in this role will play a key role in defining mobile product strategy, feature roadmap development and in leading the overall execution of that roadmap from ideation to delivery. An ideal candidate will be a a true product leader who relentlessly pushes to understand customer needs, is comfortable making data-driven decisions and is able to continually prioritize in a complex and fast-paced environment. He/she will be able to navigate both strategic and tactical business, design and engineering challenges seamlessly and will serve as a key partner across the broader Marriott organization with a diverse set of internal global stakeholders.
A successful candidate will bring a deep background and passion for mobile product development, a strong understanding of consumer digital products as well mobile platform best practices and trends, a global growth mindset, a collaborative team spirit, and strong business acumen.
In addition, the ideal candidate will have a passion for the travel business, for leading teams, and for delivering amazing mobile experiences that consumers love.
- 8+ years Mobile / Digital experience; must have direct experience and fluency with the broader Consumer Mobile / Digital landscape and mobile platforms
- 5+ years Product Management experience; portion of that experience leading or managing Mobile products across Android and iOS
- Demonstrated ability to lead, influence, and collaborate effectively in a matrix-managed environment, with multiple complementary groups
- Entrepreneurial, startup attitude in a big company setting, self-starter who takes initiative in an ambiguous environment to generate momentum & positive business outcomes
- Strong analytical, organizational and problem-solving skills with ability to interpret and translate data into key learnings and execution plans that drive business results
- Customer-obsessed mindset that capitalizes on user data to make step-change experience improvements to platforms, products, and features
- Global mindset that balances global solution orientation with awareness, appreciation, and adaptability for local market & customer dynamics
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience/certification
- Product experience leading or managing apps and mobile web solutions within both large and small organizations
- Ability to understand and navigate complex technical discussions, architectures and solutions
- Experience leading a product team in a scaled agile development environment, SAFe and variants
- Familiarity with analytics platforms; familiar on with Adobe Analytics / Omniture and mobile analytics to support data-driven product and feature measurement, performance, and iteration
- Ideal candidate will have international experience and proficiency in translating global solutions for local markets
- MBA or equivalent advanced degree preferred
- Create integrated mobile product vision
- Collaborate within Global Digital and across Continents & Regions to factor local dynamics and adapt products & features accordingly
- Continuously scan key developments in the mobile space and adjust strategy accordingly
- Anticipate staffing requirements by comparing business needs against roadmap and ongoing evolution of products & features
- Develop business cases when needed for products, features, and resources
- Understand how our business and technology needs are evolving and provide insights and recommendations as you partner with key stakeholders to identify short-term solves, bridge strategies, and long-term visions for assigned product(s).
- Gather and detail product requirements from stakeholders across the organization to inform roadmap items; evaluate technical complexity of requirements in order to appropriately prioritize work and manage expectations cross-functionally.
- Develop and lead the technology roadmap and backlog to implement specific product capabilities, ensuring critical requirements are identified, the best solutions for the end user are delivered every time, and alignment with broader group and portfolio objectives.
- Advocate for the end user by developing a deep understanding of their needs through feedback and research
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members to drive value and develop customer friendly features and enhancements
- Provide direction for the technology development, including cost estimation, budget management, scope and delivery strategy definition, and establish milestones/schedules
- Partner with solution architects and software engineers to determine best technical implementation methods as well as a reasonable implementation schedule.
- Owns the quality and overall product performance, leading user testing and establishing KPI monitoring with QA partners.
- Manage project/scrum teams based upon roadmap(s). Meet regularly with the team(s) to gather work statuses, discuss obstacles, provide advice, guidance, encouragement, and constructive feedback to ensure deliverables are met timely.
- Collaborate across teams, and creatively solve problems to constructively balance priorities and overcome or remove blockers required to successfully deliver a new product or feature.
- Maintains high performance levels by attracting, developing and retaining talent, managing performance, building career paths, and aligning performance and rewards to company goals.
- Contribute to end user support artifacts/information/collateral development including feature/capability descriptions, end user business value stories, etc.
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of employee decision making and action.
- Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
- Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
- Developing Others - Supports the development of other’s skills and capabilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively.
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Continuous Learning - Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learns through their application.
- Technical Acumen - Understanding and utilizing professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges
- Business Process and Analysis – Knowledge of multiple processes within sponsor department; ability to document key process flows, recognize processes for redesign, identify opportunities and translate business processes into information system’s needs. Ability to define quality measures and evaluate performance against standards and to identify issues, risks and possible paths of resolution or mitigation strategies.
- IT Business Management – Ability to monitor and evaluate trends in technology, technology delivery mechanisms and IT organizational processes and tools. This includes the ability to redefine processes, make recommendations, and perfect process governance frameworks.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Using basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - The ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.