The mission of the Global Diversity, Equity + Inclusion Center of Expertise (COE) within our Global HR Division is to partner with HR Leaders to build a diverse and inclusive work environment by providing programs and solutions that promote our people-first culture, maximize work life integration, invest in future talent, and drive associate engagement in support of Marriott’s business strategy. The COE continues to evolve to ensure it is meeting the organization’s needs for inclusive workplace strategies and solutions to bridge cultures globally and drive associate engagement now and into the future. To realize this vision, the COE partners with other HR groups and business leaders to understand, evaluate and adapt to new and emerging workplace trends and practices, offering innovative solutions and serving as a consultative partner throughout the organization.
As a member of the Global HR team within the Diversity, Equity + Inclusion Center of Excellence (COE), the Senior Director, Diversity + Inclusion Strategies & Solutions will contribute a high level of knowledge, skill, and consultative leadership to ensure that Marriott’s Diversity, Equity + Inclusion programs and strategies are innovative and provide solutions to drive associate engagement. The position will partner with Marriott’s Talent Acquisition, TakeCare Employer Brand, Multicultural Affairs and HR Continent teams to promote Marriott’s culture of inclusion through the development and implementation of diversity, equity and inclusion, work life integration, multigenerational and workplace programs that support all our businesses and brands enterprise wide. In addition, the position will lead and manage key projects to implement appropriate programs, innovative solutions, communications, and management strategies and processes across Marriott, in alignment with the broader diversity management approach, and in collaboration with other key stakeholder groups. As an individual contributor, this position partners and collaborates with other HR groups on projects. The position will develop and deliver presentations to internal and external audiences representing Marriott’s Diversity, Equity + Inclusion strategies.
- Design, develop and implement diversity, equity and inclusion, work life multigenerational strategies and programs.
- Provide guidance and leadership on the development and execution of continent diversity, equity and inclusion strategies, initiatives and solutions.
- Develop, plan, implement and deliver innovative tools and resources to build cultures and inspire discovery around the world.
- Partner and collaborate with MIHQ and Continent leaders to translate diversity, equity and inclusion business strategy into workplace solutions that build associate engagement and drive inclusion in alignment with established business goals.
- Research and evaluate workplace trends and innovative solutions to promote diversity, equity and inclusion and talent strategies.
- Position Marriott as “Best Place to Work” by communicating and promoting our work-life, diversity and workplace programs in the external community and defining strategies to promote Marriott as best-in-class.
- Lead and manage employer of choice surveys and applications to include providing solutions, process improvements, data and gap analysis for future success. Manages external consultant as appropriate.
- Partner with HR Reporting on diversity, equity and inclusion reporting to determine progress and opportunities to support and enhance strategies.
- Work with key partners across the enterprise to optimize opportunities to tell our diversity, equity + inclusion story.
- Identify enterprise wide best practices to optimize for utilization with MIHQ and Continents.
- Support the management of diverse strategic partnerships and strategy development in partnership with key stakeholders.
- Advise key stakeholders regarding critical events Marriott should participate, sponsor, or increase presence to improve positioning as a preferred employer.
- Consult with clients/stakeholders/customers to interpret advice and translate business needs into actionable workplace solutions. Identify key gaps and provide recommendations
- Manage the design, development and implementation of work life integration strategy and programs. Partners with other HR COEs on on-going programs and policies such as flexibility initiatives, alternative work arrangements, women leadership, aging workforce and other work life programs to meet the complex needs of our diverse and changing workforce.
- Consult on women’s leadership development programs to include program strategy development and execution. Partners with Sr. HR Leadership on the management of women initiatives (i.e., Alice S Marriott Leadership Speaker Series, WILL, etc.) and consultation on conferences to ensure alignment with business priorities.
- Create reports and presentations to support recommendations for new programs and initiatives.
- Manage the marketing, selection and execution of the J. W. Marriott Jr., Junior Diversity Excellence Award and propose recommendations to leadership.
- Represent company in external venues to include board and advisory positions where applicable, speaking engagements, workshop facilitation and conferences
- Research, recommend and stay abreast of innovative trends and practices to foster building inclusion, teamwork and a sense of community. Analyze information to determine trends.
- Provide thought leadership on diversity, equity + inclusion strategies and solutions to drive innovation, associate wellbeing and engagement. Identifies new and broader platforms to deliver inclusion solutions.
- Contribute to the development of TakeCare themes, materials and other tools.
CANDIDATE PROFILE - KEY TALENTS AND EXPERIENCE DESIRED
- 8+ years of overall HR experience with at least 4 years in diversity and inclusion related work.
- HR professional with varied HR COEs or HR Business Partner experience.
- Experience in designing, managing and successfully implementing Diversity, equity and inclusion, work life, women leadership and generational strategies and programs.
- Strong communication and platform skills; excellent verbal and written skills.
- Proven record of accomplishment consulting to business leaders and designing, developing, and implementing high impact team effectiveness and capability building solutions in large, complex organizations, using a variety of delivery methodologies
- Able to build strategic networks with Internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to influence others to achieve solutions to meet organization objective, proactive in providing solutions, resolving issues and overcoming hurdles to achieve results.
- Exceptional business, talent and culturally diverse acumen with experience that reinforces an inclusive mindset.
- Excellent collaboration, negotiation and interpersonal skills, ability to effectively communicate and influence leaders.
- Ability to communicate and facilitate business issues related to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated record of accomplishment developing and implementing work-life integration or similar human resources programs for multiple audiences.
- Demonstrated success at managing large scale initiatives.
- Consulting experience a plus.
- Bilingual skills would be a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Graduate degree, MS/MBA (or equivalent) in HR or related field a plus.
- Strong business acumen
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently and be a strong team player on the broader team.
- Strong facilitation skills and the ability to lead teams towards productive outcomes.
- Strong process and program management skills. Must be able to establish program plans, communicate timelines and roles, and manage execution through others.
- Ability to translate business needs into priorities and execute against those effectively securing necessary resources and monitoring progress against plans.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships and deals effectively with a broad group of stakeholders; influence without direct management authority; able to move initiatives forward in a manner that benefits all stakeholders.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills - ability to articulate compelling ideas and engage partners effectively.
- Comfortable challenging organizational norms and accepted thinking to improve effectiveness. Sell ideas persuasively; settle differences and wins concessions without damaging relationships; can be both direct and forceful while remaining diplomatic.
- Able to interpret data, identify trends and assess the impact on the business.
- Strong technology skills; ability to develop presentations illustrating recommended solutions.
- Active learner -- able to enhance personal, professional, and business growth through new knowledge and experiences; pushes the organization to learn from other industries’ standards and practices
- Exhibit leadership presence; ability to establish credibility necessary to influence at all organizational levels and give programs and projects credibility.
This position will be based at Marriott’s Corporate Headquarters in Bethesda, MD.