Posting Date Nov 23, 2021
Job Number 21137478
Job Category Legal
Location Marriott International HQ, 10400 Fernwood Road, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Located Remotely? N
Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
The Global Operations Services & U.S./Canada Lodging Group is responsible for providing legal support to the departments and disciplines that oversee the company’s global lodging operations platforms and systems and the U.S./Canada continental lodging services and for providing asset management, owner relations and day-to-day operations legal support for the Marriott-operated hotels and residences in the United States and Canada.
The work of the attorneys on the team principally takes the form of providing commercial transactional support (such as negotiating, drafting and interpreting numerous types of contracts) and providing legal guidance on a variety of matters where knowledge of the hotel industry, Marriott’s strategic objectives, and various hotel-related disciplines and certain legal subjects is expected.
The Corporate Counsel attorney position will ultimately report to the Vice President & Assistant General Counsel leading the Global Operations Services & U.S./Canada Lodging Group.
Under guidance from the Group Leader and senior members of the team, the attorney in this position will focus primarily on representing Marriott with respect to its managed hotel and residential portfolio in the United States and Canada and, in particular, handling (a) issues arising from existing management agreements (such as interpretations, amendments, terminations or restructurings), (b) drafting new management agreements, amendments to existing agreements, and related documents, and (b) hotel owner transactions (such as restructurings, sales and financings of hotels). The attorney in this position will also handle general commercial transactions supporting Marriott’s business. Specific responsibilities include:
- Proactively work with clients providing legal guidance and advice;
- Provide legal support to specific assigned client groups, addressing the legal issues and partnering with the clients on various initiatives and projects. Provide legal advice regarding their portfolio of owner relations and asset management work;
- Provide commercial transactional support (such as negotiating, drafting and interpreting various types of commercial agreements) and providing legal guidance on a variety of matters where knowledge of the hotel industry, Marriott’s strategic objectives, and various hotel-related subject matter disciplines is expected, and
- Collaborate with other attorneys in the Marriott Law Department and with business partners.
Requirements for Position
Successful candidates should possess the experience, knowledge, and skills as follows:
- Excellent academic record with a law degree preferably from a top law school – active Bar membership;
- Minimum of 5 years legal experience, preferably in commercial transactions;
- Proven contract drafting and negotiating skills;
- Ability to expeditiously identify and analyze issues and provide legally sound recommendations consistent with good business practices and reason;
- Ability to work under stressful conditions with owners, lenders, and partners of properties in financial distress;
- Strong interpersonal skills, and ability to interact effectively and work diplomatically with individuals at all levels;
- Ability to foster relationships and individual accountability across the organization;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent conflict management skills, and ability to influence without coercion;
- Ability to identify opportunities for improvement and to facilitate the implementation of creative solutions;
- Ability to work independently, take ownership of and effectively resolve problems; and
- Ability to expeditiously identify and assess issues and provide legally sound recommendations consistent with good business practices and reason.
At Marriott, we are committed to putting our associates first and their health and safety are our highest priorities. This position requires associates to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 per current CDC standards or approved for a medical or religious accommodation.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
Interested in this opportunity?