Sales & MarketingLocation
Marriott International HQ, 7750 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP Schedule
The Director, Business Process
is a key member of the Experience Design team within the Business Transformation Office (BTO), reporting to the Senior Director of Enterprise Business Process. The position is primarily responsible for supporting the establishment of the company’s first business process team and center of excellence to support the delivery and adoption of the Marriott Growth Platform (MGP) program. MGP is a multi-year effort to transform Marriott’s technology and business process ecosystem, enabling Marriott to deliver on our vision to become the world’s favorite travel company. The BTO has been established to enable and accelerate MGP through unique approaches to strategic planning, program management, change management, experience and business process design, continent coordination, and deployment. This role, as part of the BTO will support the central orchestration and guidance on how business process design is approached and executed across the organization to drive consistency, integration and value. Success in this role requires strong critical thinking skills, attention to detail, comfort with ambiguity, a proven ability to manage multiple work efforts at the same time, as well as the ability to work and collaborate across teams and disciplines.
Responsibilities include providing expertise, central orchestration and guidance for business process work across the organization.
CANDIDATE PROFILE Education and Experience Required
- EXPERTISE: The Business Process team will bring industry best practices and deep understanding of business process methodology, latest tools and methods, and a perspective on how to build a business process function. The team will manage process transformation projects, lead process discovery and design workshops, coach process owners, and measure and report on the process performance.
- ORCHESTRATION: The Business Process team will manage and orchestrate end-to-end business processes that cross discipline / functional boundaries
- COLLABORATION: Partner with disciplines to document current and future business processes (that stay within a functional area), identify opportunities for improvement and create a foundation for innovation
- 4-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Computer Science, Engineering or related discipline
- 8+ years of related working experience
- Experience in business process design
Attributes Skills & Experience Preferred
- Experience working with Business Process Mapping Tools. Implementation of tools a bonus
- Consulting experience desired
- Hospitality experience desired; specific experience in Revenue Management or Property Finance experience preferred
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES End-To-End Business Process Design
- Leading + Execution: Proven track record of planning and executing strategic projects and initiatives in operations; deep project management skillset
- Change + Ambiguity: Able to lead the organization and team in working through unclear situations, challenges and opportunities through strong situation analysis and framing, rapid stakeholder assessments, critical decision making, solution brainstorming, and making data-driven way forward recommendations.
- Problem Solving: Prior consulting experience focused on diagnosis and development of recommendations to solve complex business problems
- Advance Facilitation Skills: Lead the design, development, and delivery of complex stakeholder experiences, using design thinking, creativity, and expert communication skills, to deliver powerful, results-oriented meetings and workshops.
Business Process Center of Excellence
- Support the development of Marriott’s cross-discipline business process architecture
- Establish foundational end-to-end business processes focused first on areas most impacted by MGP
- Conduct cross-discipline process discovery and design workshops to document current and future state business processes
- Bring business process expertise to the organization
- Provide common templates, access to best practices, process modelling tools to drive documentation consistency (e.g., standard level of detail)
- Define and maintain an enterprise-wide process framework and standards
- Drive adoption and adherence of the business process related methods and tools across the organization
- Ensure a holistic/E2E view of the enterprise business processes (L0/L1)
- Coach process owners within discipline teams
- Design, develop and maintain business process documentations that will be used as reference for preparing test cases, change management, training, process outlines, flowcharts, and implementation procedures
- Conduct internal controls testing and consult with stakeholders, helping them to understand opportunities for improvement
- Develop and implement process solutions to improve operational efficiency, quality, and simplification
MANAGEMENT COMPETENCIES Leadership
- Establish best practices, methods, processes, tools, and templates for successful execution of MGP efforts
- Inform and/or update executives, peers, and subordinates on relevant information in a timely manner
- Manage time effectively and conduct activities in an organized manner
- Present ideas, expectations, and information in a concise, organized manner
- Perform other reasonable duties as assigned by manager
- Adaptability - Maintains performance level under pressure or when experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Problem solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Building and Contributing to Teams - Participates as a member of a team to move toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Coworker Relationships - Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Applied Learning - Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
- Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of discipline-specific systems, tools, and business practices.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
This position requires proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment, subject to applicable law. If you are offered employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation request is received and approved.Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?