Marriott International HQ, 7750 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP Schedule
Talent Development at Marriott is positioned to fuel performance, enrich lives, and accelerate reinvention. With a disciplined focus on this vision, the opportunity exists to transform Marriott from a traditional training organization to one that enables the company to be more agile and innovative, and therefore competitive – a true learning organization.
This critical role will lead the development and execution of a range of high-impact leadership development initiatives – with a focus on creating a world class experience for new associates through pre-boarding, orientation, onboarding - and enabling a democratized approach to career growth & development through expanding on existing programs and platforms while identifying and implementing new ways for associates to access opportunity for growth and development throughout Marriott.SCOPE / BUSINESS CONTEXT / CANDIDATE PROFILE Expected Contributions – Essential Job Functions
The expected contributions and essential job functions of this role fall into the following key work domains:
Key Accountabilities Core Work Activities:
- Career Development: Responsible for overall strategy and approach for associate career growth and development, including the evolution of the Become program. Designs, develops, and implements a holistic career growth and development strategy and framework for all Marriott associates.
- Enterprise Onboarding : Leads team to creates a comprehensive, world-class onboarding journey for all Marriott associates, defined as a new hire’s experience from offer date through their first year. Partners across COEs to ensure a seamless integration of new hire training within the onboarding experience. Provides expertise to brands and functions building new associate training and development. Coordinates with other functions, including Talent Acquisition, IT, workplace services, and others to define and support a streamlined new hire experience. Leads team to facilitate new hire onboarding within Marriott’s Headquarters, coordinating between departments to ensure a warm welcome for new hires.
- Associate Growth Center: Supports the design and execution of world-class development programming and infrastructure through J.W. Marriott Jr. Associate Growth Center at Marriott HQ. This includes design of both on-demand and event-driven experiences – supplementing and aligning seamlessly within broader talent development ecosystem – serving as both a delivery platform and space, along with having unique and new programming that can solidify Marriott as a world leader in associate engagement and development.
- Provides program oversight for all onboarding projects/programs and ensure resources are appropriately allocated to meet project deadlines, budget goals and changing business and/or market needs.
- Coordinates among stakeholders to update, manage, deliver HQ New Hire Orientation.
- Provides strategic direction and oversight to Gateway platform and ongoing sustainment.
- Provides strategic direction for other ongoing platforms to support career growth for associates, including Become, TakeCare GROW, and others as identified.
- Develops a strategy to enhance career growth opportunities and platforms globally.
- Coordinates with Learning Technology stakeholders on platform design, development, and sustainment.
- Develops strategies to improve the onboarding experience for new hires, including but not limited to HQ new hires, supporting manager involvement in onboarding, etc.
- Analyzes information and evaluates results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Maintains content integrity, accuracy, and consistency of onboarding and associate engagement programs.
Candidate Profile Experience
- Assists in leading the career development & growth team toward the accomplishment of identified key departmental objectives contributing to the business’ success with a focus on leadership development.
- Works with direct reports and peers to develop and implement strategies and goals. Communicates a clear and consistent message regarding goals to produce desired results.
- Makes and executes the necessary decisions to keep team moving forward toward achievement of goals.
- Provides targeted and timely communication of results, achievements and challenges to direct reports, peers and leaders.
- Develops a highly functioning team of high caliber talent that makes a strong, positive impact on the organization.
Personal Competencies (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Attributes)
- 7+ years of leadership experience within a corporate learning & development team, program management, onboarding, and/or human resources work experience or relevant professional experience: demonstrating progressive career growth and a pattern of exceptional performance.
- Experience working in an environment where Cultural awareness is critical to success.
- Experience in audience and stakeholder needs identification.
- Experience in managing and coordinating varieties of inputs from functional experts working in a team environment.
Education or Certification
- Must be a self-starter who can work independently and be a strong team player that contributes to the effectiveness of the broader Talent Development team.
- Supports, manages and initiates change within the organization, taking steps to remove barriers or to accelerate pace.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with both internal and external stakeholders; influences without direct authority.
- Actively pursues learning and self-development to enhance personal, professional and business growth; shares learning.
- Thrives in complexity, ambiguity and change. Welcomes and adapts to changing environments.
- Ability to learn quickly when facing new problems; a relentless and versatile learner; open to change; analyzes both successes and failures for clues to improvement; experiments and will try anything to find solutions; enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong interpersonal relationships with team members, internal stakeholders and external constituents; and ability to influence change through these relationships.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills to develop agreements and manage interdependencies in task assignments and scheduling.
- Ability to collaborate with others; a team player.
- Ability to consult and interface with senior leaders.
- Strong analytic skills; makes decisions using data and business knowledge.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a deadline-driven environment - establishing goals and delivering against the objectives of assignments to meet time, budget and quality criteria.
- Ability to deliver results under difficult conditions and demonstrated balanced judgment under pressure.
- Ability to establish credibility necessary to influence at all organizational levels and give projects credibility.
- Trustworthy with strong business integrity and ability to hold sensitive information in confidence.
- Successful candidates should possess knowledge and experience and demonstrate strong leadership and relationship skills.
- Ability to communicate with non-technical people about technical issues.
- Ability to provide guidance for less experienced staff.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills, strong focus and attention to detail.
Bachelors Degree required; advanced degree in Human Resources or related field is preferred. Other Position is a Hybrid work schedule (2-3 days in office per week) based at Marriott International Headquarters in Bethesda, MD.Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?