Posting Date Nov 03, 2021
Job Number 21114746
Job Category Finance & Accounting
Location Marriott International HQ, 10400 Fernwood Road, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Located Remotely? N
Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
As a member of the Global Tax Research & Planning team, the Sr. Director, Tax Research and Planning is responsible for providing critical tax advice on Marriott’s business structures and transactions to ensure Marriott achieves the appropriate balance of economic business results, financial accounting, tax accounting and tax cash flows. The position will drive partnership with business leaders, finance executives, in-house legal counsel and external providers to develop, document, communicate and monitor global tax positions. The position also provides advice to internal tax department customers including Tax Compliance, Tax Accounting, and Tax Audit Teams. The Senior Director Tax - Research and Planning position will work with tax leadership to identify, develop, and implement efficient strategies that could impact the timing or ultimate amount of taxes Marriott pays, considering U.S. tax reform and tax reform around the world.
The Senior Director will coordinate with tax leadership, including global tax provision and compliance leaders responsible for quantifying financial statement impacts of uncertain tax positions. The Senior Director must be adept at tapping diverse sources of information, identifying opportunities, anticipating challenges, and developing and executing strategies to deliver against current and future tax priorities, thereby strengthening Marriott’s competitive advantage through excellence in tax strategy/management.
Additionally, the Senior Director, Tax Research & Planning is expected to develop and manage data used to analyze U.S. international tax impacts for tax research and planning activities. The position partners closely with service providers to leverage technology and develop data solutions in order to increase Marriott’s analytical capabilities of key domestic and foreign tax data to drive tax planning opportunities.
- Provide critical tax advice on Marriott’s business structures and transactions to ensure Marriott achieves the appropriate balance of economic business results, financial accounting, tax accounting and tax cash flows
- Efficient and effective execution of tax research and planning activities related to development/investment activities, operations support, acquisitions and dispositions, and other matters for assigned businesses.
- Monitor and review domestic and foreign legislation that may impact business operations globally, most importantly including the most broad sweeping U.S. tax reform act since 1986.
- Proactively identify opportunities for securing additional tax savings in connection with global operations and investments.
- Analyze and reviews investment and disposition proposals as requested by the SVP, Corporate Tax and/or Vice President Global Tax, Research, Planning and Audits and assists in the negotiation and implementation thereof.
- Manage modeling of alternative structures and alternative transactions to assist the Global Tax Research & Planning team with determining optimal situation.
- Establish and maintain strong, collaborative relationships with corporate and continent finance teams at the VP and SVP level to understand the business and ensure timely exchange of information.
- Monitor service level delivery and ensures alignment with budget.
- Support IDR audit defense related to tax audit issues.
- Prepare and/or review written analysis and participate in the assessment and communication of tax strategies and risks in accordance with foreign and domestic accounting and tax requirements and foreign entity organization structures.
- Identify opportunities for securing additional tax savings in connection with global operations and investments.
- Lead multifunction teams (including accounting, treasury, tax, finance and others) in developing and prioritizing potential tax planning initiatives and presenting those ideas to tax and finance leadership teams.
- Contributes to achievement of team objectives and outcomes.
- Champion excellence in business ethics and integrity, social responsibility, cross-cultural effectiveness, and associate engagement.
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
Key Talents and Experience
- 10 years or 8 years post graduate professional US international income tax experience (including in-depth knowledge of GILTI, FDII, Subpart F, OECD/BEPS, ATAD, CFCs, FTCs) in a global organization with increasing responsibility.
- Experience in the taxation of US companies with global operations.
- Experience analyzing and recommending appropriate strategies addressing technical complex tax issues.
- History of consistently delivering business results.
- Strong business acumen and service orientation.
- Strong qualitative and quantitative analytical skills; ability to take large volumes of complex information and present it in a clear and concise manner appropriate for senior management decision-making; uses data and a cogent problem solving methodology in decision making and impact assessment.
- Able to orchestrate systemic change; initiates, supports and manages change within the organization, taking steps to remove barriers or to accelerate its pace.
- Operates with a collaborative mindset to ensure that key stakeholders are considered, eliminating the need for duplicate systems; builds strong relationships to leverage information and insights to anticipate and respond to project risks; communicates well with project and other leaders; openly shares and does not withhold information.
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to develop and maintain effective relationships with a broad group of stakeholders. Able to influence without formal reporting lines by demonstrating/explaining the value of new activities and aligning the activities with broader organizational objectives/initiatives.
- Communicates effectively, both orally and in writing; listens to others and effectively comprehends information; creates an environment allowing timely information flows throughout the organization.
- Responsive; able to integrate and balance priorities, work activities and resources for the benefit of multiple key stakeholders.
- Results oriented; delivers results under difficult conditions and demonstrates balanced judgment under pressure; able to assess, plan and get “the right priorities” done, on time and budget, at high quality levels; able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Able to consistently make decisions in a timely manner sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure; comfortable challenging organizational norms and accepted thinking to improve effectiveness.
- Active learner -- able to enhance personal, professional and business growth through new knowledge and experiences; pushes the organization to learn from other industries' standards and practices.
- Ability to champion excellence in business ethics and integrity and associate engagement.
Education and Professional Certification
- Baccalaureate degree in Finance, Accounting or related discipline required
- Jurist Doctorate with concentration in business law and taxation preferred
- LLM or Masters in Taxation a plus
- This position will be based at MI Corporate Headquarters in Bethesda, MD.
At Marriott, we are committed to putting our associates first and their health and safety are our highest priorities. This position requires associates to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 per current CDC standards or approved for a medical or religious accommodation.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
Other suggested jobs
The St. Regis Washington D.C.
USEH International Inc
Casino Barrière de Trouville