Title: UK Finance Business Partner
Reports to: UK Senior Finance Manager
Direct reports: N/a
Who we are…
The Soho House Group is a collection of private members' clubs and restaurants, catering to those in the film, media, fashion and creative industries. The company includes restaurants, bars, clubs, hotels, cinemas and venues around the world, as well as in-store and on-line retail business and an in-house design and build company. In addition, the Group is growing and developing with new openings planned globally.
The company is on a rapid growth trajectory, both in the UK and internationally. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the expansion of Soho House. Our UK business currently encompasses 14 sites. We are due to open a new site in White City and reopen our Greek Street site following extensive refurbishment.
Reporting to the UK Financial Controller, you will be part of the UK finance team based in London Dean Street. The role is designed to focus greatly on business partnering a number of UK sites within the responsibilities below.
Main responsibilities include:
- Act as a Finance Partner to a group of restaurants/houses, leading them from a Finance point of view, effectively an FD for the sites
- Act at all times as the key contact between the relevant sites and Finance and own any financial issues raised by the sites
- Provide robust commercial challenge to GMs so that revenue weakness and cost overruns are properly investigated and understood
- Produce monthly business intelligence based on reports obtained from FP&A, including analysis of actual vs target margins and cost trends, and analysis of pricing strategies and revenue trend across the group to help General Managers (“GMs”) and Senior Management maximise revenue and drive profit conversion
- Produce ad hoc analysis as directed by FD/UK Financial Controller to identify and understand
a) cost/margin variances
b) revenue themes
across the relevant sites and communicate results with GMs to assist them in making informed decisions around menu structure, pricing and promotions
- Investigate margin discrepancies at month end with GMs and F&B Controllers to identify potential changes/improvements to processes to tighten up margin management in procurement, stock control etc
- Support the UK Financial Controller with the objective to create consistent Finance processes and produce first class management information for use across the business
- Support sites on the annual budgeting and quarterly reforecast processes
- Report on key variances so that FD and UK Financial Controller learn of issues as early as possible and are able to react to them
- Diarise P&L reviews with the GMs each month and chair the meeting so that all key variances to budget are discussed and actions are recorded/followed up each month
- Monthly KPI reporting with a focus on management of key costs ie F&B/payroll/operating costs and restaurant profit conversion to Gross Profit/GOP/EBITDA
- Review management accounts pack once the first draft has been produced and identify material variances to forecast/budget in P&L and Balance Sheet
- Prepare weekly reports for the relevant sites making sure all relevant items are captured and that the reports provide a reliable view of actual performance (i.e. minimising discrepancies to actual P&L numbers)
- Ensure that regular balance sheet reconciliations for the relevant sites are completed
- Organise meetings with GMs on site to go through the first draft of the management accounts pack and discuss any areas of contention in terms of accounting policy (policies are dictated by Finance, not Operations)
- After review of first draft with GMs, propose any changes to site numbers to UK Financial Controller
- As directed by the UK Financial Controller, support site month end process and production of management accounts packs for all sites including explaining material cost and margin and revenue variances
- Provide support at year end on the annual audit process
- Ongoing implementation of financial processes and controls across the whole site.
- Additional ad-hoc duties as requested.
Split by areas covered in the role...
- Business partnering 60%
- FP&A 20%
- Reporting & Month end 20%
What we look for…
- Strong and robust character, confident in challenging at all levels.
- Ability to deliver high quality work to tight deadlines.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to work under own initiative and collaborate across departments.
- Ability to manage and prioritise tasks simultaneously whilst maintaining attention to detail.
- “Solution driven” as opposed to “problem focusing”.
- A fully qualified accountant with good accounting experience and preferably from a multi-site leisure / hospitality background.
- Advanced Excel skills and ideally experience with Sage Accounts package, Opera and Micros
- Advanced knowledge of Sage 200 or similar
- Advanced Excel skills including understanding of Macros
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and under pressure
- Organised and methodical
- Fully qualified in ACA or equivalent