About the Role
The Director, Health & Safety will be highly experienced in multisite Health and Safety management frameworks with a people focused, holistic and innovative risk management mindset. Provide WeWork with strategic leadership for all Health and Safety matters and lead on the implementation of Global Health and Safety initiatives in your Region. You will be an ambassador of Health and Safety responding to our business’ unique challenges with an approach that balances an uncompromised search for Health and Safety excellence with a commercial and innovative approach. This role will report directly to the VP of Facilities and Operations. This position will also provide direct leadership and management of Health & Safety Managers.
The Director, Health & Safety will work alongside and influence other business leaders (operations, people risk, legal, construction, design, logistics, etc) to ensure a world class Health and Safety culture is present in all of the company’s activities, locations and decisions. Interface with external consultancies as well as governmental agencies to determine applicable local standards and reporting requirements.
The Director, Health & Safety will travel as needed within their territory. This position can be located in New York or Seattle.
- Be the subject matter expert for Health and Safety, driving and facilitating H&S corporate governance through the business.
- Provide the business with strategic leadership for Health and Safety, ensuring that Health and Safety is taken into account in all areas of the business via persuasion and influencing at all levels within the organization.
- Create innovative, straightforward and scalable Health and Safety management frameworks that deliver Health and Safety excellence and compliance across the Region, taking into account cultural differences, regulatory requirements, society expectations and global WeWork standards.
- Ensure Global Health and Safety standards and initiatives are absorbed and implemented in the Regional business operations.
- Guide and empower Regional and Territory Facilities Teams to ensure that Health and Safety frameworks are fully implemented, legally compliant and successful on the delivery of their desired outcomes in all Territories.
- Work closely with the Facilities Teams to ensure robust facilities maintenance regimes are in place to adequately control risks such as fire, legionella, electricity, lifts etc.
- Work closely with the People and Community Experience Teams to design and drive mental health and wellness programmes.
- Work closely with the Development Team to ensure that the construction and design of our buildings is done in a safe manner, factoring Health and Safety matters into the design of the building.
- Promote other cross functional initiatives that foster a world class Health and Safety culture and standards.
- Be responsible for the development and implementation of Health and Safety training programs that empower our Community Teams to become Health and Safety and emergency leaders. (Including but not limited to Occupational H&S, Fire Safety and First Aid)
- Implement robust and mature monitoring, auditing and reporting processes on Health and Safety performance, training and compliance. (Including but not limited to accident analysis, training completion, regulatory enforcement and H&S auditing).
- In collaboration with the Security Team, develop and maintain WeWork’s Emergency planning, preparedness and management (Emergency Action Plans).
- Execute a thorough H&S due diligence process when entering new markets, coordinating readiness plans and advising the business on residual risk.
- Oversee the H&S incident reporting systems, detecting trends and ensuring that thorough investigations take place when required.
- Establish relationships (when applicable) with third party vendors and develop and review and set large scale regional contracts to support our service and project needs.
- Manage and be accountable for a health and safety budget.
Experience & Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree education in occupational health and safety
- 10+ years practical experience in the creation, implementation and monitoring of Health and Safety management systems.
- Experience at representing business interests to the leadership teams of Health and Safety policies and procedures
- Experience with communication including communicating regulatory, market, and contractual details to all organizational levels
- Strong data analysis skills and experience, including a mastery of Microsoft Excel and large datasets
- Experience of working collaboratively with stakeholders providing guidance and advice, with an ability to engage and influence others effectively
- Ability to influence and to work cross-functionally in support of team objectives and goals.
- Passion for leading and developing teams
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills and outstanding relationship building skills at all levels inside and outside the organization.
- Thrive in a fast-paced agile environment, be biased to action and detail oriented
- Ability to initiate and maintain extensive contacts with professionals and officials of other organizations and companies.
- Ability to inspire and engage as part of behavioural based safety initiatives.
- Influencing skills at all levels.
- Strong time management skills and experience managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability and experience to develop and implement training material.
- Experience managing large scale projects with multiple deadlines and stakeholders
- Financial accountability and analytic skills
- Innovation (expected to find innovative ways to drive the health and safety culture across the Region)
- Technology (will be expected to embrace/implement the latest tech systems to help support the health and safety function)
- Proficient in the following programs: all things Google, MS Office, Slack
- Experience creating or managing H&S management systems based on OHSAS18001 and/or ISO 45001 international standards
- Experience in Facilities Management
- Experience in Event Safety management plans
- Demonstrate integrity, dependability, responsibility, accountability, self-awareness, work ethic, and empathy