At WeWork, we provide inspiring and flexible workplace solutions to help businesses – small, medium or large – thrive in more than 150 cities globally. The future of work is happening right now, and we are leading this moment. United by a common purpose, here we will empower tomorrow’s world at work. Join us on our journey as we give our members the freedom and support to push boundaries in their industries, and work to redefine our own.
The Platform team is focused on leveraging WeWork’s best-in-class technology solutions and operational excellence to power the flexible space economy. The Platform team is responsible for defining and executing on new asset light strategies to expand the WeWork network and brand globally across the ever-evolving ecosystem of landlords, enterprises and operators.
About the Role
Reporting to the Vice President of Strategy and Business Development, the Platform Business Development Director (“BD Director”) will be responsible for sourcing, structuring and executing transactions across WeWork’s asset light Platform initiatives. The BD Director will act as the deal principal and will collaborate closely with the Platform team and cross-functional executive leadership to negotiate and structure terms. The BD Director will work with a wide range of potential counterparties across the commercial real estate ecosystem. The BD Director is expected to champion the Platform initiatives by supporting the formation and deployment of WeWork’s communications and marketing strategy, both internally and externally. Additionally, the BD Director will partner closely with other cross functional groups including Finance, Sales, Real Estate, Community, Operations and Technology.
The primary objective of the BD Director is to scale WeWork’s revenues by executing a high volume of asset light deals. The BD Director should have a mastery of the deal execution lifecycle across sourcing and pitching, negotiations and drafting definitive documents. As the deal principal, the BD Director will also be responsible for debriefing functional teams on key terms and receiving requisite approvals from key stakeholders, including executive leadership. The BD Director will be supported by the Platform Project Management team and a Technical Account Manager throughout the deal process.
We are continuing to refine our Platform strategy, both in terms of the asset light initiatives and the go-to-market approach. The BD Director, Platform Strategy and Platform Project Management teams will work closely together on a day-to-day basis to ensure complete strategic alignment and a nimble approach that will help us drive revenues and maximize the flex market opportunity.
- Be a champion for WeWork’s existing and future Platform products and business lines with both internal and external stakeholders
- Develop a deep pipeline of relationships across the commercial real estate ecosystem and continuously drive business development efforts to drive revenues
- Possess a track record of solving problems that do not have clearly defined answers upon initial assessment – in many ways this will require the ability to evaluate complex variables and interrelationships quickly to determine solutions or organizational priorities
- Build cross-functional relationships across Finance, Sales, Community, Operations, Real Estate and Technology to execute deals
- Take ownership of deliverables that will be presented to executive leadership and the Board of Directors – this is a highly visible role with tremendous exposure to the C-suite
- Possess and utilize an expert knowledge of WeWork’s value proposition, core business products and technology roadmap to pitch potential partners effectively
- Leverage an understanding of building unit economics, accounting and finance to structure economic deal terms and drive overall P&L profitability
- Be curious and innovative – seek to continuously refine WeWork’s strategy and drive process improvements
- Liaise with Enterprise Sales teams to pursue potential Platform deals
- 7-10+ years of experience in business development or sales with a proven track record of exceeding revenue or transaction goals
- Prior experience a top-tier investment bank (2-year analyst program), strategy/management consulting or enterprise/SaaS sales a plus
- Nuanced knowledge of the commercial real estate industry
- Proven ability to develop meaningful relationships with potential counterparties
- Self-starter, reliable, focused, with demonstrated ability to consistently meet deadlines
- Competency in deal financials/cash flow analysis
- Strong time management skills and experience managing numerous tasks simultaneously
- Strong communication and presentation skills, verbal and written
- Excels under pressure; ability to work independently and cooperatively in a fast-paced environment
Life At WeWork
Being a WeWorker is more than just a job. We believe the magic of work is sparked by the passion you bring, the places you go, the people you meet and the purpose you follow. And it starts here. Here you will brush shoulders with those who dare to dream and do. Here you will be welcomed by a diverse community that embraces and inspires you—because together we can achieve more. Here we challenge ideas, and explore new ways of getting things done. Whether you are part of our Employee Community Groups , or part of a global project, we ask you to bring your open-minded attitude and collaborative spirit. In return, you will be part of a team where your unique perspectives are celebrated.
WeWork is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon gender, sexual orientation, marital or civil status, pregnancy (or pregnancy-related conditions), gender identity or expression, transgender status or gender reassignment, race, color, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion or religious beliefs, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including genetic testing and characteristics), military or veteran status, or any other grounds or characteristic that is protected under the law.
As part of our commitment to health and safety, WeWork — like a growing number of employers — is requiring all U.S. employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition of employment, absent a legal exception for reasonable accommodation. We provide unvaccinated new hires a 45-day grace period after their start date to get fully vaccinated or, if eligible, obtain a reasonable accommodation. If you believe that a legal exception may apply to you, please still apply for any role(s) you are interested in and, if you are hired, you will receive instructions on how to request a reasonable accommodation after your start date. Please note that roles that require in-person work — currently, within our Community (excluding Member Experience), Facilities Management (including Security), Sales (excluding Sales Ops), and Member Technology teams — will not be eligible for work-from-home as an accommodation because it poses an undue hardship on our business.
Other suggested jobs
USEH International Inc
The St. Regis Washington D.C.
- Executive Assistant (Boston or NYC)Boston, MA, United States
- M&A Project Management LeadNew York, NY, United States
- Manager, Mergers & AcquisitionsNew York, NY, United States
- Director of Mergers & AcquisitionsNew York, NY, United States
- Service Desk Specialist – Member SupportSan Francisco, CA, United States