The Director of Rooms forms part of the Hotel Leadership team who collectively make key strategic and operational decisions for the Hotel or Resort. The Director of Rooms provides direction and controls the activities of the Front Desk, Communications (Operators), Concierge, Housekeeping, Guest Relations, Guest Services and Spa departments at the hotel. Assures that standards are met, guests and employees are satisfied and problems are promptly resolved. The Director of Rooms also works closely with Sales & Marketing and the Director of Revenue/Reservations to enhance the Hotel occupancy levels and rates.
We are looking for individuals who have strong leadership and interpersonal skills, are able to prioritize and adapt to the changing needs of the operation, and can evidence having a solid work ethic, good business acumen and a passion for service. Applicants are required to have five to seven years experience with diversity of Operations management positions in both Housekeeping and Front Office. A college degree preferably specializing in hotel management or business administration, or equivalent experience is required. Some travel is required for training, conferences and special events.
Role and Responsibilities
- Directly supervises the Department Heads in the departments named above. Ensures thorough communications and follow-up on any problems, guest or employee requests or special requirements, and on hotel initiatives. Interviews and trains the staff. Conducts Performance Evaluations and disciplines staff when needed.
- Reviews and monitors schedules of staff in all departments in the Rooms Division. Monitors their activities to assure that standards are being met, staff is being supported and guest needs are being met. Routinely inspects all areas of responsibility in the Rooms Division.
- Resolves customer complaints from all areas of the hotel, handling all guest interactions with the highest level of hospitality and professionalism, accommodating special requests whenever possible. Will resolve complaints in person, by phone or through written message. Develops relationships with return guests, group contacts and other guests in order to provide personalized service.
- Assures that financial goals of the division and the hotel are being met. Monitors and controls labor expense, and other divisional expenses such as supplies and equipment. Works closely with Reservations, Sales and the Front Office to maximize rate, occupancy and total revenue. Assists in preparing business forecasts. Prepares Annual Budget for the division. Maintains close relationships with retail tenants and concessions to ensure revenue and expense targets are met. Makes suggestions that will improve revenue, reduce cost and increase guest satisfaction.
- Assures that Four Seasons Service and Culture standards are being met. Manages in a way that supports Four Seasons’ Mission and Philosophy. Supports and creates programs and initiatives that encourage employee development, training and career growth within the Rooms Division. Plays an active role in the Planning Committee. Engaged along with other Planning Committee members in long-range planning for the hotel.
- Takes action in all matters related to the safety, security, satisfaction and well being of hotel guests and employees Responds swiftly and effectively in any hotel emergency or safety situation.
- Complies with Four Seasons’ Category One and Category Two Work Rules and Standards of Conduct as set forth in EmPact.
- Works harmoniously and professionally with co-workers and supervisors.
- Provides Crunch Team assistance throughout the hotel