Join Our Team
Join our dynamic, diverse team at Four Seasons Resort & Residences Whistler as the Full Time, Director of Security.
Our work environment pairs a strong commitment to excellent service and authentic experiences with an emphasis on creativity and innovation. We are looking for someone with excitement and dedication in serving our guests. Satisfying our guests depends on the united efforts of many, we are most effective when we work together cooperatively, respecting each other’s contribution and importance.
Be ready for a warm Canadian experience! At Four Seasons Resort Whistler, we fill guest’s days with exhilarating adventures on Whistler and Blackcomb mountains and Employee days with happiness and thrilling working experience. We aim not only to be the best Resort to stay in Canada but also the greatest place to work! We offer 273 newly refurbished elegant guest rooms and suites; a luxury Spa and a top-rated restaurant.
Four Seasons Resort Whistler is located at the foot of Blackcomb and Whistler. The resort is a five-minute walk to the ski lifts and a 10-minute stroll to the village center, making it the perfect location for a rustic adventure any time of year.
Our guest rooms are spacious, beautifully re-styled in December, 2019, the refurbished rooms and suites pay close attention to the unique placement of Whistler – a secluded retreat, just an hour and a half away from the international destination of Vancouver.
In December 2020, we completed a property-wide enhancement with the launch of Braidwood Tavern, a craft kitchen and social house conceived in collaboration with celebrated chef and restauranteur Richard Sandoval, along with a re-imagined SIDECUT Steakhouse, both designed by Box Interior Design.
Director of Security (DOS) is accountable for the security and safety measures throughout the hotel/resort. In this senior-level position, DOS will need to maintain strategic oversight of every aspect of the hotel/resort's physical security and safety for Guests, Employees, Assets and Reputation (GEAR) including staffing, budgets, protocols and procedures as well as crisis management.
- Creating: creating and establishing a pro-security culture amongst staff, professionals and the public ensures responsibility for security is accepted by all and the actions of the minority who breach securities are not tolerated:
- Deterring those who may be minded to breach security – using publicity to raise awareness of what the consequences of their intended actions could be both personally.
- Preventing security incidents or breaches from occurring, wherever possible, or minimizing the risk of them occurring by conducting risk assessments, learning from operational experience about previous incidents, using technology wisely and sharing best practices.
- Detecting security incidents or breaches and ensuring these are reported in a simple, consistent manner across the corporate so that trends and risks can be analyzed, allowing this data to properly inform the development of preventative measures or the revision of policies and procedures, both corporately and locally.
- Investigating security incidents or breaches in a fair, objective and professional manner, to ensure the causes of such incidents.
- Reacting/Responding to events: Overall plan for responding to event, defines the roles and responsibilities of participants, characterization of incidents, includes evaluation to determine scope and potential risk, appropriate response, clear communication to stakeholders, containment, remediation and plans for reducing the chance of recurrence.
- Motivating and developing a skilled team, leads by example and instills a culture of continuous learning and improvement among employees; actively participates in Employee Relations activities and programs
- Is actively involved in identifying and assessing the needs of employees and helps in the career development of every employee through effective coaching, training and by instilling company values; is concerned for employees' continuous development and personal growth
- Ensures the department is kept in an organized manner in accordance with company philosophy and policies, maximizing efficiency and productivity and achieving established goals; promotes harmony between all departments
- Displays warmth, care and genuine enthusiasm when dealing with guests and internal customers; lives the Golden Rule
- Demonstrates standards awareness, by setting example for standards execution, standards testing and implementing action plans to achieve established product and service goals
- Prepares annual plans, forecasts and managing expenses to meet departmental budgetary goals
- Interview, select, review and train new security officers whether full time or under contract according to Hotel/Resort standards.
- Ability to assist hotel/Resort staff in handling of unusual guest or employee problems, such as, but not limited to, disorderly conduct, thefts, suicides, bomb threats, employee or guest accidents, fire or safety hazards, robberies, terrorist activities, civil disturbance, power or elevator failures, medical assistance and natural disasters, fraud & cybercrime activities and food hygiene risks faced by the hotel/resort.
- Direct and coordinate the activities of the Security team.
- Assign security duties and schedule staff for balancing needs of the Hotel/Resort and productivity standards.
- Monitor security activity and coach subordinate performance.
- Liaison with corporate/regional offices on security standards issues.
- Ensure the safety and security of guests, employees, assets and reputations at all times.
- Establish access control and visitor management system.
- Implements action plans to monitor and control security risks.
- Monitor security procedures to ensure compliance with internal security procedure, licensing requirements, or applicable government security requirements, and directives.
- Establish lost and found tracking and timely disposal system.
- Oversees and guides the efforts of the firefighting response team in the Hotel/Resort.
- Conduct investigations and compile reports on a timely manner for any theft, loss, accidents or any aspect that risks the safety of the Hotel/Resort.
- Coordinate with external police authorities in the investigation and handling of crimes, accidents, VIP events, involving the hotel, its employees and / or guests if required.
- Organizing executive security protection details for VIP guests if requested.
- Interview, select, review and train new security officers according to Hotel/Resort standards to maintain order throughout the establishment.
- Communicate with higher management about present security status, updates, and actual or potential problems, using established protocols.
- Track departmental safety record and document medically treated and non-treated injuries.
- Establish Health and Safety committee in the Hotel/Resort chair the meeting as monthly basic and implement the safety procedure based on committee members’ feedback and suggestions.
- Conduct/ Coordinate all safety and security training existing employees and new hires.
- Oversees the claims process and protects company assets by closely monitoring the General Liability and Worker's Compensation cases.
- Ensure regular safety patrols or walk throughs are proactively conducted to identify risks.
- Create and implement the property crisis management plan including training and awareness sessions.
- Develops and maintains a monthly checklist for all security cameras equipment, alarmed doors, and panic / duress alarms to ensure that they are fully functional.
- Conduct, support, or assist in governmental reviews, internal corporate evaluations, or assessments of the overall effectiveness of the facilities security processes
- Escalate all incidents meeting established thresholds to corporate office.
- Liaison with the FS Security Council to identify whether the threat and risk situation has changed.
- Based on the results of the local threat and risk assessment, decide on an appropriate posture for each of the risk based measures identified in the guidance.
- Attend meetings, professional seminars, or conferences to keep abreast of changes in executive legislative directives or new technologies impacting security operations
- 3-5 years previous experience in a Security Management position is required.
- College degree or equivalent experience is preferred.
- Previous law enforcement or Military background preferred.
- Managing a Health and Safety program
- Prior experience in supporting business strategy including the promotion of security-based sales/value add to operational programs
- Prior experience in CPR, First Aid, firefighting and crowd management
- Prior experience with security investigations
- Prior experience with physical security equipment and engineering infrastructure
- Experience reporting, investigating, and documenting work-related accidents and incidents including guest and employee loss in an objective and comprehensive manner.
- CPR certified (certified trainer preferred).
- A passion for teaching and training staff is preferred.
- The ability to stand and walk continuously for up to 8 hours per shift.
As our hotel is open 24/7, 365 days a year, we expect flexibility in working mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Please note that due to the large number of responses we receive, only candidates being considered for the above position will be contacted for an interview.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please click on the APPLY button, attach your resume and cover letter in Word and/or PDF format.
About Four Seasons Hotels & Resorts
Four Seasons is dedicated to perfecting the travel experience through continual innovation and the highest standards of hospitality. The deeply instilled Four Seasons culture is personified by its employees – people who share a single focus and are inspired to offer great service.
At Four Seasons, we believe in recognizing a familiar face, welcoming a new one and treating every one we meet the way we would want to be treated ourselves. Whether you work with us, stay with us, live with us, discover with us, we believe our purpose is to create impressions that will stay with you for a lifetime. It comes from our belief that life is richer when we truly connect to the people and the world around us.
What’s in it for you
Excellent training and development opportunities; if you are looking for a long term career we have opportunities after your first season, based on performance.
Access to affordable shared staff housing both on-site and off-site
Employee theme recognition days and events- Employee of the month, Years of service celebrations, birthday events, etc;
Complimentary meal per shift in our employee dining room,
Paid time off; vacation days and additional floating holidays per year;
Learn more about what it’s like to work for Four Seasons:
Learn more about Four Seasons Whistler on Social Media:
We look forward to receiving your application!
*Our organization is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability or any other basis protected under provincial or federal laws.