W Minneapolis - The Foshay, 821 Marquette Ave, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States VIEW ON MAP Schedule
Entry level management position with responsibility for both planning and banquet floor operations. Approximately 60% of the job responsibility involves preparing event documentation and coordinating with Sales, property departments and customers to ensure consistent, high-level service throughout pre-event, event and post-event phases of property events. This position manages simple events. Ensures property events have a seamless turnover from sales to service back to sales. Recognizes opportunities to maximize revenue opportunities by up-selling and offering enhancements to create outstanding events. Approximately 40% of the job responsibility involves leading the event staff while assisting in the set up and service of the functions. Develops and directs event operational team to provide consistent, high quality service. Communicates expected performance and trains staff in processes (as appropriate).CANDIDATE PROFILE Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 1 – 2 years of experience in the event management, food and beverage, sales and marketing and/or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Hotel and Restaurant Management, Hospitality, Business Administration, or related major; at least 1 year experience in the event management, food and beverage, sales and marketing and/or related professional area required.CORE WORK ACTIVITIES Managing Event Logistics and Operations (Planning)
• Ensures that events progress seamlessly by following established procedures, collaborating with other employees, and ensuring accuracy.
• Ensures customer is promptly greeted during the event phase, hands-off to the Event Operations team for the execution of details, and executes the event (as appropriate).
• Adheres to all standards, policies, and procedures.
• Ensures billing accuracy and conducts bill reviews with the clients prior to processing the final bill.
• Manages group room blocks and meeting space for average to large-sized assigned groups.
• Identifies operational challenges associated with his/her group and determines how to best work with the property staff and customer to solve these challenges and/or develop alternative solutions.
• Applies knowledge of all laws, as they relate to an event.
• Uses his/her judgment to integrate current trends in event management and event design.
• Acts as liaison between field sales person and customer throughout the event process (pre-event, event, post-event).
• Participates in customer site inspections and assists with the sales process as necessary.
• Performs other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
• Solicits feedback from the property departments to identify areas for improvement to enhance the Event Planner’s experience.Supporting the Management of Event Operations (Event Operations)
• Ensures function rooms are set according to event documentation (Banquet Event Orders, resumes, etc.) and customer requirements.
• Assists in maintaining the inventory of function room amenities, service equipment and other controllable supplies.
• Uses banquet beverage records to control liquor costs and manage the banquet beverage perpetual inventory.
• Attends pre-event meetings as needed to understand group needs.
• Communicates critical information to Event Service Team.
• Maintains cleanliness and sanitation standards in all banquet operation areas.
• Conducts room function inspections prior to each event to ensure the room is set according to specifications, as appropriate.
• Maintains up to date attendance log for Event employees, as appropriate.
• Delegates tasks to ensure room sets are “on time” and meet Event Service Standards, as appropriate.Ensuring and Providing Exceptional Customer Service for Property Events
• Delivers excellent customer service throughout the customer experience and encourages the same from other employees.
• Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
• Sets a positive example for guest relations.
• Coordinates and communicates event details both verbally and in writing to the customer and property operations.
• Makes presence known to customer at all times during this process.
• Oversees his/her customer experiences from file turnover through the post event phase until turnover back to sales.
• Follows up with customer post-event.
• Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
• Uses personal judgment and expertise to enhance the customer experience.
• Stays available to solve problems and/or suggest alternatives to previous arrangements.
• Works to continually improve customer service by integrating obtained feedback and personal judgment into action plans.
• Emphasizes guest satisfaction during all departmental meetings and focuses on continuous improvement.
• Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels.
• Ensures hourly employees understand expectations and parameters for event activities.Leading Event Management Teams
• Conducts formal pre- and post-event meetings as required to review/communicate group needs and feedback.
• Leads formal pre-event and post-event meetings for average to large-sized assigned groups.
• Facilitates various meetings as he/she perceives necessary (Banquet Event Order meeting, block review, etc).Supporting and Coordinating with the Sales and Marketing Function
• Assists in the sales process and revenue forecasting for customer groups.
• Up-sells products and services throughout the event process.
• Forecasts group sleeping rooms and event revenue (catering and audio visual) for his/her groups.Conducting Human Resources Activities
• Reviews comment cards and guest satisfaction results with employees.
• Observes service behaviors of employees and provides feedback to individuals and/or managers.
• Assists in the development and implementation of corrective action plans.
• Takes initiative to use his/her experience to improve service performance according to his/her evaluation of the issue and resolution.
• Works with the property staff and customers to address operational challenges associated with his/her group.
• Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaches, mentors, or otherwise helps others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Participates in an ongoing employee recognition program.
• Participates in the employee performance appraisal process, assisting with the completion of annual performance reviews.
• Supports training when appropriate.
• Participates in the interviewing and hiring of employee team members with the appropriate skills.
• Assists in establishing guidelines so employees understand job expectations and parameters.
• Communicates and executes departmental and hotel emergency procedures and ensures staff are trained in safety procedures.
• Schedules employees to ensure shift coverage and meet business demands and productivity goals.
• Performs other duties as assigned to meet business needs.Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law. Marriott International considers for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Boldly coloring outside the lines of luxury, W turns the traditional notion of the extravagant hotel on its head. Our irreverent attitude and taste for excess redefine revelry for the modern jet set. Our guests have a lust for a life less ordinary that drives them to demand more, experience it all, and hit repeat.
We share our guests’ passions, providing insider access to what’s new and what’s next. Moderation is not in our vocabulary and we know that lust for life demands more, not less. W guests soak it in and live each day with a mantra: Detox.Retox.Repeat. If you’re ready to create the energetic W scene that is magnetic to everyday disruptors around the world, then we invite you to explore a career with W Hotels.