We’re looking for a Senior Director of Engineering, Platform
to join our team.
The Viator Platform team, internally called Marketplace Services, is responsible for building and supporting a world-class platform of complex business services which are exposed through APIs to other teams within Viator. These services underpin viator.com and the Viator native apps, as well as business-to-business systems used by our suppliers and a wide range of third parties who sell our inventory, including Tripadvisor, Uber, and Booking.com.
As a Senior Director of Engineering, Platform you will lead the Marketplace Services Engineering team, iterating and executing our core platform strategy and overseeing pods of engineers working on different streams of work in a fast-paced agile environment. You will manage a team of engineering managers, helping them to grow their careers at Viator. You will own the processes and technologies used in your areas and work in a truly collaborative team alongside other Engineering, Product, Design, Data Science, and Product Analytics leaders.
A key part of the role will be transitioning existing work from a team in Sydney and establishing a brand new Marketplace Services Engineering team in Europe.
While this is largely a hands-off role, we’re looking for someone with a wealth of technical experience who is willing and able to get involved when required. Our stack includes Java, React, Docker, Kubernetes, GraphQL, SQL and NoSQL databases, all running on Linux and in AWS.
The ideal candidate has an impressive mix of both technical and soft skills. We’re looking for someone who can fit into our collaborative culture and be a key member of the R&D leadership team. We have a fun and friendly environment where the key objective is getting things done. Key attributes would include openness, integrity, collaborative decision-making and an informal, direct, communication style.
We operate a distributed-first model, allowing you the flexibility to work remotely from the UK, Portugal, or Poland, or hybrid from the Oxford, London, or Lisbon Tripadvisor offices. We expect our R&D leaders to be in one of our offices on average at least 3 days a month.
If you’re interested, our requirements are:
- 12+ years of overall engineering experience at strong product companies
- 5+ years experience of managing managers with an overall team of 50+ software engineers, ideally at a market-leading marketplace, e-commerce or SaaS company with an API-first approach
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- Experience successfully leading distributed, global teams that are a mix of full-time employees, local contractors, and offshore contractors
- Extensive experience defining and developing a successful API-based architecture
- Proven track record of successfully delivering complex technology-focused projects requiring coordination across engineering teams and other functions.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous improvement both personally and within your teams
- Strong leadership skills; track record of bringing new ideas and best practices to the table and getting buy-in from across engineering peers for implementation
- Clear verbal and written communication
- Proven ability to successfully recruit, develop, and retain a highly-effective team of engineers and engineering managers
- Strong sense of ownership, urgency and pride in your work.
We strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please make sure to reach out to your individual recruiter or our team at firstname.lastname@example.org