Engineering & FacilitiesLocation
W Milan, Piazzetta M. Bossi 2, Milan, Milan, Italy VIEW ON MAP Schedule
W Milan is currently recruiting for a Director of Engineering to manage the pre and post opening engineering activities for our property in Italy.
Reporting to the General Manager with a dotted line to the Southern Area Engineering Director, the Director of Engineering has the overall responsibility for maintaining the building, grounds and physical plant with particular attention towards safety, security and asset protection. Accountable for managing the budget, capital expenditure projects, preventative maintenance and energy conservation.
He/She develops and implements strategies that will deliver products and services, which meet or exceed the needs and expectations of guests and employees while maximizing the financial performance. Ultimately, the Director of Engineering is responsible for maintaining standards and regulatory requirements and for leading the emergency response team for all facility issues.What we offer
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES Managing Engineering Operations and Budgets
- Join the pre-opening team and gain international exposure to Marriott EMEA Leaders
- Professional career progression at international level in Marriott International
- Learning and development opportunities online, on the job and in class
- Discounts on hotel rooms, gift shop items, food and beverage
- Disruptive management & motivated and engaging Talents
- Charity events, Wellbeing activities through the TakeCare program
Conducting Human Resources Activities
- Works with property and regional engineering leadership team to determine how Engineering is performing against budget and highlights areas of concern to leadership.
- Manages the physical plant including equipment, refrigeration, HVAC, plumbing, water treatment and electrical systems in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures.
- Administers service contracts to support property needs.
- Ensures fire crew has complete understanding of all procedures, equipment and alarms.
- Coaches and supports engineering leadership team to effectively manage controllable expenses (e.g., wages, heat, light and power, water consumption, tools and equipment, grounds keeping supplies, uniforms, vendors, service agreements, inventory, etc.).
- Manages and controls heat, light and power.
- Develops an engineering operating strategy that is aligned with the property/brand’s business strategy.
- Develops and manages Engineering budget.
- Ensures integration of departmental goals in game plans.
- Oversees execution of long term preventative maintenance and 10 year asset protection plans.
- Reviews financial reports and statements to determine how Engineering is performing against budget.
- Addresses potential areas of concern and proposing solutions to owners in a proactive manner.
- Communicates a clear and consistent message regarding departmental goals to produce desired results.
- Supervises construction to ensure timely completion of projects within budgetary guidelines.
- Maintaining Engineering Standards
- Ensures compliance with state, local and federal regulations.
- Maintains property life safety systems (e.g., fire fighting equipment, sprinkler systems, and alarm systems).
- Ensures building and equipment licenses, permits and certifications are current.
- Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
- Managing Profitability
- Manages areas of operation to budget by reviewing operating statements, budget worksheets and payroll progress reports.
- Monitors and manages the payroll function.
- Manages department's controllable expenses to achieve or exceed budgeted goals.
- Participates in the development of department's capital expenditure goals; manages projects as needed.
- Participates in the budgeting process for areas of responsibility.
- Prepares weekly and period end P&L critiques.
- Understands the impact of department's operation on the overall property financial goals; educates staff on details as appropriate.
- Reviews and manages controllable expenses such as, heat, light, power, water consumption, tools and equipment, grounds keeping supplies, uniforms, vendors, service agreements, etc.
CANDIDATE PROFILE Education and Experience
- Ensures employees are treated fairly and equitably.
- Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and support the Peer Review Process.
- Utilizes employee feedback and an “open door” policy to identify and address employee problems or concerns in a timely manner.
- Celebrates successes by publicly recognizing the contributions of team members.
- Resolves guest problems and complaints.
- Brings issues to the attention of Human Resources as necessary.
- Ensures that regular on-going communication takes place throughout the engineering operation to communicate daily operations activities, set expectations and create awareness of business objectives.
Explore our very big world
- BS/BA or equivalent work experience.
- 2-4 years’ experience in similar positions.
- Previous experience in Engineering within Hospitality or Retail industries
- System-related professional certifications desired.
- Customer service and interpersonal skills
- English and Italian language knowledge is an advantage
As a world-class leader in the travel industry, there’s no better place than Marriott International to make your mark. Joining us, you’ll get to entertain and meet people from all over the world as you build your experience. You’ll find a place where your personality and ideas are appreciated just as much as the work you do. And you’ll grow through opportunities to explore the business, opening yourself to various career options. If you have the natural ability to communicate and enjoy working with others, we welcome you to join our global family. You’re welcomed here
Our highest priority is making you feel as welcome as our guests. We want you to know you’re important to us and that you’ll make an impact in your role, and for that, you’ll be appreciated and valued.Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
W Hotels’ mission is to Ignite Curiosity, Expand Worlds. We are a place to experience life. We’re here to open doors and open minds. We are constantly inspired by new faces and new experiences. A tuned-in, up-for-anything spirit is at our core and has made us renowned for reinventing the norms of luxury around the globe. Whatever/Whenever is our culture and service philosophy that brings our guests’ passions to life. If you are original, innovative, and always looking towards the future of what’s possible, welcome to W Hotels. In joining W Hotels, you join a portfolio of brands with Marriott International. Be
where you can do your best work, begin
your purpose, belong
to an amazing global team, and become
the best version of you.