For over 91 years, Fairmont Royal York has stood proudly as a Toronto landmark. When the hotel opened in 1929 it was the tallest building in the British Common Wealth and contained 1,048 rooms, a concert hall, library, extensive bakery, radio station and even a hospital. Today, this essential downtown landmark has completed a multi-million dollar transformation, reimagining its lobby, rooms, dining venues, event spaces, and Fairmont Gold – the property’s exclusive hotel within a hotel luxury experience. Another stunning chapter for Fairmont Royal York has begun.
What you will be doing to Create the Essential Toronto Experience:
- Maintains the highest standards of food quality and presentation in workstation as directed by the Sous Chef on duty. Must have well-rounded knowledge of all areas of the kitchen including a la carte restaurant and production areas of: banquets, garde manger, vegetable, butcher, soups, and sauce stations. Possesses strong leadership qualities and communication skills written and verbal. Must be able to effectively supervise and train several individuals of varying skill levels. Works within the station in clean, safe, and efficient manner in accordance with the policy's procedures and standards of the kitchen. He/She will be accountable for the overall success of the daily kitchen operation with Sous Chef.
- Ability to use and execute Pulled Sugar in sculpture art at an advanced level.
- Ability to use and execute Chocolate/ Bon bon/Decoration/Crystallization/Showpieces at an advanced level.
- Ability to use and execute Petites Four & Pralines at an advanced level.
- Ability to use and execute about Modern Plated Dessert at an advanced level.
- Review the days requirements, prepares and when required delegates duties and ensures the production of the food items in accordance with standards in a timely and efficient fashion to ensure that there is no interruption to guest service.
- Lead shifts while personally preparing food items and executing requests based on required specifications.
- Liaises with Management, Banquet Chef, Restaurant Chefs, Sous Chefs, and Chef de Parties in all areas as needed and answers telephone responding to questions as required when Sous Chef is not available.
- Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behavior’s.
- Support Sous Chef in ensuring cooks/colleagues understand expectations and parameters in kitchen operation.
- Actively participates in training of culinary skills to junior staff and apprentices
- Assist the Sous Chef with the creation of recipes and adhere to standardized recipes and specifications in order to maintain consistency and ensure all standards are met
- Keeps work station clean & organized including fridge/freezers, countertops, range tops
- Ensures that station opening and closing procedures are carried out to standard
- Keeps overproduction and food waste to a minimum, ensures proper rotation, labeling, and storing of food in order to reduce food cost expense.
- Operate all kitchen equipment and conduct themselves with safety in mind at all times
- Ensures that all food products are handled, stored, prepared and served safely in accordance with hotel and government Food Safety guidelines.
- Report any and all deficiencies in kitchen equipment functionality and quality of food products to Chef de Parties/Sous Chefs in a timely manner
- Complete other job related duties as assigned by your supervisor
- Prepares lists of food products required for station for Sous Chef order and approval
- Responsible for the day to day operations of his/her station
- Experience in a five-star luxury hotel with comparable service and standards for a minimum of 10 years
- Valid International Food Handler Certificate Level three required
- Must have experience and be proficient in both a la carte and production cooking
- Previous supervisory experience minimum 5 years
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Aspires to become a Sous Chef with Fairmont Hotels and Resorts
- Secondary School Diploma and Pastry Bakery Diploma
- Pastry competition experience
- Accor Employee Travel Discount Program
- On-shift hot or cold meal in The Hive Cafeteria
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Extended healthcare plan coverage
- Opportunity to develop your talent and grow within the Company and across the world!
- Ability to make a difference through our Corporate Social Responsibility activities, like Planet 21