Join Our Team
Join our dynamic, diverse team at Four Seasons Resort & Residences Whistler as the Assistant Director of Engineering.
This position reports to the Facilities Manager, is responsible for overseeing and managing the Engineering department, and is department head level.
Our work environment pairs a strong commitment to excellent service and authentic experiences with an emphasis on creativity and innovation. We are looking for individuals with not only the right skills but also the right attitude for the role!The Location
Be ready for a warm Canadian experience! At Four Seasons Resort Whistler, we fill guest’s days with exhilarating adventures on Whistler and Blackcomb mountains and Employee days with happiness and thrilling working experience. We aim not only to be the best Resort to stay in Canada but also the greatest place to work! We offer 273 newly refurbished elegant guest rooms and suites; a luxury Spa and top rated restaurants.
Four Seasons Resort Whistler is located at the foot of Blackcomb and Whistler. The resort is a five-minute walk to the ski lifts and a 10-minute stroll to the village center, making it the perfect location for a rustic adventure any time of year.
Our guest rooms are spacious, beautifully re-styled in December, 2019, the refurbished rooms and suites pay close attention to the unique placement of Whistler – a secluded retreat, just an hour and a half away from the international destination of Vancouver.
In December 2020, we completed a property-wide enhancement with the launch of Braidwood Tavern, a craft kitchen and social house conceived in collaboration with celebrated chef and restauranteur Richard Sandoval, along with a re-imagined SIDECUT Steakhouse, both designed by Box Interior Design.The Role - Overview
The Assistant Director of Engineering reports directly to the Facilities Manager. His or her primary role is to assist the Facilities Manager in all aspects of hotel and building maintenance, including electrical, plumbing, steam, gas, fire and safety, HVAC refrigeration, interior, painting and decorating, and to respond to requests and issues in an efficient, courteous and professional manner to achieve maximum customer satisfaction while adhering to Four Seasons policies. The Assistant Director of Engineering will, among other things, be responsible for supervising a team of technicians in the department. Core Responsibilities
Qualifications & Experience
- Assists in the hiring, training, supervision, scheduling, counseling, and evaluation of performance and planning the activities of maintenance staff including making spot checks on a daily basis;
- Ensures proper execution of work order/request system and that items are followed up on when necessary;
- Ensures the hotel follows all local codes and regulations;
- Maintains logs on movement of stock items and tools and monitor distribution of items;
- Controls departmental labor and operational expense;
- Makes effort in reasonable energy saving and launch productive programs;
- Offer supervision on contractors and suppliers to assure the qualified rectification and items purchasing;
- Creates, approves and posts all Engineering staff schedules;
- Helps to create and adhere to annual budget for the division;
- Ensures that all emergency and life safety equipment and systems are inspected, tested and certified as per law and local codes;
- Must be able to multitask and prioritize departmental functions to meet deadlines;
- Must be able to understand and evaluate complex information, data, etc. from various sources to meet appropriate objectives;
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality of information;
- Requires reading of blue prints;
- Supervises and trains all Engineering staff in Customer Service, Empowerment, Standard Operating Procedures and Loss Prevention Standards;
- Acts appropriately in all dangerous and/or emergency situations (fires, power outages, infiltrations, floods, etc.);
- Ensures that the work order/request system is properly executed and that items are followed up as required;
- Prepares requisitions and work orders and ensures effective liaison with the Procurement Manager;
- Implements preventive maintenance programs, policies and rules to ensure effective service;
- Works harmoniously and professionally with colleagues and supervisors;
- Executes all other related tasks.
- Ability to communicate fluently in English, both orally and in writing;
- Holding degree or certificate in either HVAC, Plumbing, Stationary Engineer, Refrigeration, etc. Any other related field would be of great asset;
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in a similar role within a 5-star luxury environment;
- Management experience and a working knowledge of infrastructure utilities including, electrical distribution, chill water, natural gas, potable water, and associated equipment.
- Good knowledge of the Windows platform;
- Capacity to work in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work under pressure and manage it in a positive and effective way;
- Demonstrates a very high team spirit;
- Interest and ability to provide outstanding service to our guests;
- Maintains a professional appearance and behaves in a mature manner with integrity at all times;
- Being calm and patient and be of service passion.
- Be organized, meticulous and resourceful;
- Good knowledge in plumbing, HVAC, carpentry, electricity and painting;
- Must be available days, evenings, holidays and weekends so he can be accessible to his Engineering staff for any emergencies needing his expertise ;
- Management experience and a working knowledge of commercial swimming pools.
If required, the Hotel will apply for work authorization for the successful candidate. About Four Seasons Hotels & Resorts
Four Seasons is dedicated to perfecting the travel experience through continual innovation and the highest standards of hospitality. The deeply instilled Four Seasons culture is personified by its employees – people who share a single focus and are inspired to offer great service. At Four Seasons, we believe in recognizing a familiar face, welcoming a new one and treating every one we meet the way we would want to be treated ourselves. Whether you work with us, stay with us, live with us, discover with us, we believe our purpose is to create impressions that will stay with you for a lifetime. It comes from our belief that life is richer when we truly connect to the people and the world around us.What’s in it for you
- Extended Health Coverage (dental, vision, life insurance, RMT, prescription drugs, etc) after probationary period;
- Employee theme recognition days and events- Employee of the month, Years of service celebrations, birthday events, etc;
- Complimentary meal per shift in our employee dining room,
- Retirement plan with employer contribution;
- Paid time off; vacation days and additional floating holidays per year;
- Excellent training and development program;
- Employee Travel Program, including complimentary stays at Four Seasons globally (by length of service and subject to availability).
Learn more about what it’s like to work for Four Seasons:
Learn more about Four Seasons Whistler on Social Media:
We look forward to receiving your application!
*Our organization is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability or any other basis protected under provincial or federal laws.