United States, Massachusetts, BostonHotel:
Boston (BOSHA), 510 Atlantic Avenue, 02210Job number:
101549 Hotel Overview:
InterContinental® Boston is a landmark of luxury; top rated on Trip Advisor for Boston hotels, named a ‘Top Place to Work’ by The Boston Globe, rated as one of the ‘Best Hotels in the World' by Condé Nast Traveler magazine and featuring a Forbes Four-Star, 4 Diamond AAA rated hotel experience. The property overlooks Boston's historic waterfront, featuring 424 luxurious ultra-modern accommodations with distinctive style and breathtaking waterfront or downtown city views, a full-service spa and fitness club, 32,000 square feet of premier meeting and event space, and an array of restaurants and bars influenced by a variety of international flavors. We are looking for passionate people who are charming, confident and internationally-minded to ensure we continue the story of making great things happen at InterContinental® Boston.Your day to day
Supervise day-to-day activities of the Sous Chefs at the hotel restaurant and other culinary personnel to achieve compliance in food preparations, presentation, and quality. Assist with employee training and scheduling. Adhere to federal, state and local regulations concerning health, safety, or other compliance requirements, as well as brand standards and local policies and procedures. Serve as Executive Chef in his/her absence.
- Oversee methods of preparation, portion sizes, and timeliness of food preparation; control food usage to minimize waste.
- Assist the Executive Chef in creating and testing new recipes and maintaining updated and accurate documentation and costing of all dishes prepared and sold in the food and beverage facilities.
- Maintain procedures to (1) ensure the security and proper storage of food and beverage products, kitchen inventory and equipment, (2) replenish supplies, inventory, uniforms, etc. in a timely and efficient manner, and (3) to minimize waste and control costs.
- Recommend and initiate salary, disciplinary, or other staffing/human resources - related actions in accordance with company rules and policies. Alert management of potentially serious issues.
- Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Key departmental contacts include Sales and Marketing, Catering, Banquets, Maintenance, and Guest Services. Assist sales, catering, and banquet staffs with banquets, parties and other special events.
- Interact with outside contacts:
- Guests – to ensure their total satisfaction
- Vendors – to order supplies and equipment and ensure best prices and quality
- Health Department and other regulatory agencies – regarding safety matters and kitchen inspections
- Review the following day’s menus and complete requisitions for food and supplies needed from various storerooms; maintain inventory control procedures. Assist with the regular inventory of food and kitchen supplies; order items as necessary to maintain adequate inventory levels.
- Assist in developing new menus and concepts to keep up with business and industry trends.
- Supervise of day-to-day operations and assignments of the culinary staff, communicate goals, and assign/schedule work. Assist with the communication and enforcement of formal policies and procedures.
- Assist the Executive Chef in determining the minimum and maximum stocks of all food, material and equipment.
- Ensure that all kitchen equipment, including but not limited to sinks, stoves, grills, hoods, coolers, freezers, etc., are in proper operational condition and are cleaned on a regular basis. Ensure that all kitchen areas and related storerooms are cleaned, mopped, and properly stocked according to anticipated business volume and in accordance with sanitation and health department requirements. Notify Engineering immediately of any maintenance and repair needs.
- May serve as Manager on Duty or perform other duties as assigned.
What we need from you
Completion of a high school diploma or equivalent, and at least seven years of experience as a chef in leadership, or equivalent combination of education and culinary/kitchen operations experience. Degree or certificate in culinary arts preferred.
This job requires ability to perform the following:
What we offer
- Carrying or lifting items weighing up to 50 pounds
- Moving about the kitchen
- Handling food, objects, products and utensils
- Bending, stooping, kneeling
- Communication skills are utilized a significant amount of time when interacting with others; demonstrated ability to interact with guests, employees and third parties that reflects highly on the hotel, the brand and the Company.
- Reading and writing abilities are utilized often when completing paperwork and management reports, ordering and receiving inventory, and giving and receiving instructions.
- Mathematical skills, including basic math, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, percentages, and variances are utilized frequently.
- Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are used often.
- Alcohol awareness certification and/or food service permit or valid health/food handler card as required by local or state government agency.
- May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
In return we'll give you a competitive financial and benefits package. Hotel discounts worldwide are available as well as access to a wide variety of discount programs and the chance to work with a great team of people. Most importantly, we'll give you the room to be yourself.
So what's your passion? Please get in touch and tell us how you could bring your individual skills to IHG.
IHG is an equal opportunity employer: Minorities / Females / Disabled / Veterans.
At IHG, we’ve made a promise. As one of the world’s leading hotel groups, we’re here to deliver True Hospitality for Good. Making our guests and colleagues feel welcome, cared for, recognised and respected – wherever they are in the world. Want to be part of the journey?
As the world’s first and most global luxury hotel brand, InterContinental Hotels & Resorts has pioneered international travel since the 1940s, we are passionate about sharing our renowned international know-how and cultural wisdom in truly impressive surroundings. We all take great pride in being genuine ambassadors of the InterContinental®️ brand and to be part of the brand you will have a thirst for travel, passion for culture and appreciation for diversity. We create inspiring experiences for those seeking a richer perspective on the world. If you’d like to embrace a world of opportunities, we’d like to welcome you to the world’s most international luxury hotel brand. Let’s Go Further Together.
Don't quite meet every single requirement, but still believe you'd be a great fit for the job? We'll never know unless you hit the 'Apply' button. Start your journey with us today and let's #GoFurtherTogether.