Infrastructure Operations Engineer
Chertsey / London / Basingstoke
A job with Merlin isn’t like a job anywhere else. With attractions around the world, from rollercoasters to wax figures, we don’t trade in suits, handshakes or briefcases. We trade in fun. In smiles, shrieks and spine-tingles. In Memories. In magic. But there are no tricks behind our magic. Instead, there are people like you. Passionate, dedicated people who are committed to making sure our worldwide attractions and guests’ experiences are the best they can be.
Due to continuing growth and development of Merlin’s attractions and brands on a global scale, we are looking for a Senior Infrastructure Operations Engineer to join our Global Infrastructure Operations team. This role will be based at either our Merlin Technical Hub at Thorpe Park, Chertsey; Madame Tussauds London; or our Merlin Hub in Basingstoke, on a permanent basis. The salary for this role is up to £60,000, dependant on skills and experience.
This is a technical, hands-on role, with day-to-day tasks including the monitoring, patching, support, configuration, and overall management of Merlin’s global desktop, mobile, tablet and point of sale estate. As a senior member of the wider Global Infrastructure Operations team, you will primarily be responsible for resolving operational issues, performing preventative maintenance, and reviewing performance-related statistics - whilst adhering to standardised Service Level Agreements (SLAs), in line with the Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) framework.
More about the Role...
• You will establish excellent working relationships with key business stakeholders, PMO and the wider technology teams
• Ensure support queues are within SLA and be the initial point of escalation
• Be responsible for interpreting business requirements in technical specifications adhering to the policies and standards defined by enterprise architecture
• Provide support, advice and guidance to the wider infrastructure operations team along with 1st and 2nd line support teams
• Provide technical support in both a proactive and reactive manner, ensuring systems are stable and performing within the terms of their respective Service Level Agreements
• Ensure all elements of Infrastructure are implemented and maintained in accordance with the defined standards, approved by the Architecture team
• Provide day-to-day monitoring, capacity planning and management of the existing estate
• Evaluate and apply any necessary operating system patches and updates
• Keep abreast of developing technologies and make recommendations when appropriate
• Work on a rota shift basis and provide out of hours, on-call support for critical systems, where necessary, including working a weekend rota and occasional evening work
• Ensure the respective teams and stakeholders are kept informed on the progress of any major outages
• Produce & update configuration, maintenance documentation and monitoring for all infrastructure installed within the Merlin estate and ensure smooth handover to operations team
• Liaise with the relevant governance positions to ensure all solution designs meet internal and external legislations and policies
• Work with Project Managers and other IT team members in the preparation and delivery of SDDs
• Assist other IT team members by providing clear guidance over designs where required
• Work with the wider technology team to develop and improve the IT service delivered to the business
• Continually champion and promote service improvement
• Gain a strong understanding of the infrastructure systems in use and recommend enhancements that will provide benefit to the business
• Ensure Merlin Technology policies and procedures are followed
• You will have a ITIL Foundation qualification
• Expert understanding of virtualisation technologies, specifically with VMWare (VCP Certified)
• Expert understanding of the Microsoft Windows Server product family including Azure and 365 (MCSE/MCSA certified)
• Experience with Microsoft Azure cloud services including O365
• Excellent knowledge of backup technologies
• Experience with Microsoft SQL Server product family
• Extensive experience in designing and implementing solutions including relevant documentation to support the design
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
• PowerShell or other scripting knowledge
• Working knowledge of service management systems such as ServiceNow
• Capacity planning
• Reporting and analysis
• Good communicator
• Highly organised and able to manage own time and priorities in a fast-paced delivery environment.
• Self-motivated, able to work unsupervised.
We’re growing fast and alongside a fun and friendly environment, we offer a fabulous package and amazing prospects – ideal if you’re already fantastic and can quickly become even better (our magic can help here). Benefits include Pension, Life Assurance, discretionary company bonus, 25 days’ holiday and, of course, a Merlin Magic Pass which gives you and your friends and family free admission to all of our attractions worldwide, as well as 25% discount in our retail shops and restaurants and 40% discount on LEGO.
Everyone Matters at Merlin.
At Merlin we welcome the world to our magical attractions and resorts every day and we want to reflect that same multicultural mix inside our business too. We strive to create an inclusive and diverse workplace where people can be themselves, have the same opportunities and thrive together. Because at Merlin, everyone matters!
Together, we work to create a workplace where everyone feels valued, no matter their age, race, gender, disability or sexual orientation. Although we understand that we'll always be learning and growing, we aim to be the most inclusive and flexible employer in our industry.
Returning to Work...
As part of our approach, we welcome applications from people looking to return to work after a long career break.
We have an active Return to Work programme, which offers training, mentoring and more, to support with the transition back into working life. So, if you’ve been on a career break for any reason we can support you.
If you have any questions or if you require any reasonable adjustments due to disability or a medical condition, we'd love to hear from you at Recruitment@Merlinentertainments.biz and one of the team will get back to you as soon as possible.