For over 91 years, Fairmont Royal York has stood proudly as a Toronto landmark. When the hotel opened in 1929 it was the tallest building in the British Common Wealth and contained 1,048 rooms, a concert hall, library, extensive bakery, radio station and even a hospital. Today, this essential downtown landmark has completed a multi-million dollar transformation, reimagining its lobby, rooms, dining venues, event spaces, and Fairmont Gold – the property’s exclusive hotel within a hotel luxury experience. Another stunning chapter for Fairmont Royal York has begun.
What you will be doing to Create the Essential Toronto Experience:
- Maintainsthe highest standards of food quality and presentation in workstation as directed by the Sous Chef on duty. Must have well-rounded knowledge of all areas of the kitchen including a la carte restaurant and production areas of: banquets, garde manger, vegetable, butcher, soups, and sauce stations. Possesses strong leadership qualities and communication skills written and verbal. Must be able to effectively supervise and train several individuals of varying skill levels. Works within the station in clean, safe, and efficient manner in accordance with the policy's procedures and standards of the kitchen. He/She will be accountable for the overall success of the daily kitchen operation with Sous Chef.
- Review the days requirements, prepares and when required delegates duties and ensures the production of the food items in accordance with standards in a timely and efficient fashion to ensure that there is no interruption to guest service.
- Lead shifts while personally preparing food items and executing requests based on required specifications.
- Liaises with Management, Banquet Chef, Restaurant Chefs, Sous Chefs, and Chef de Parties in all areas as needed and answers telephone responding to questiosn as required when Sous Chef is not available.
- Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviours.
- Support Sous Chef in ensuring cooks/colleagus understand expectations and parameters in kitchen operation.
- Actively participates in training of culinary skills to junior staff and apprentices
- Assist the Sous Chef with the creation of recipes and adhere to standardized recipes and specifications in order to maintain consistency and ensure all standards are met
- Keeps work station clean & organized including fridge/freezers, countertops, range tops
- Ensures that station opening and closing procedures are carried out to standard
- Keeps overproduction and food waste to a minimum, ensures proper rotation, labeling, and storing of food in order to reduce food cost expense.
- Operate all kitchen equipment and conduct themselves with safety in mind at all times
- Ensures that all food products are handled, stored, prepared and served safely in accordance with hotel and government Food Safety guidelines.
- Report any and all deficiencies in kitchen equipment functionality and quality of food products to Chef de Parties/Sous Chefs in a timely manner
- Complete other job related duties as assigned by your supervisor
- Prepares lists of food products required for station for Sous Chef order and approval
- Responsible for the day to day operations of his/her station
- Red Seal Certificate (Journeyman's papers) or Recognized International Equivalent
- Experience in a luxury hotel with comparable service and standards for a minimum of 5 years
- Valid City of Toronto Food Handler Certificate required
- Must have experience and be proficient in both a la carte and production cooking
- Previous supervisory experience
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Aspires to become a Sous Chef with Fairmont Hotels and Resorts
Do you enjoy helping others and building emotional connections to make people feel special and welcomed? If so, then we want YOU to be part of our Fairmont Royal York family.
Every day you will be responsible for engaging with our guests, clients and colleagues. You will create the essential Toronto experience at the hotel that has been a Canadian icon for over 91 years. You will be given the responsibility to ensure that our guests and colleagues feel WELCOMED, CARED FOR and INCREDIBLE. Being part of the Fairmont Royal York family is more than providing warm and consistent service. As an ambassador of Fairmont Royal York, you will take the initiatives necessary to turn moments into memories by taking the time to understand our guests’ purposes: why are they staying at Fairmont Royal York, what is their length of stay and what are their preferences and passions? Making our guests feel heard and cared for creates an emotional connection to our brand and builds loyalty.
These emotional connections are not just for guests. As part of the Fairmont Royal York family, you will be tasked with creating impactful relationships with your colleagues.
If creating these lasting relationships and experiences excites you, read more about how your role supports our vision of continuing to create the essential Toronto experience!
What is in it for you:
- Employee benefit card offering discounted rates in Accor worldwide for you and your family
- Learning programs through our Academies designed to sharpen your skills
- Ability to make a difference through our Corporate Social Responsibility activities, like Planet 21
- Career development opportunities with national and international promotion opportunities. The sky is your limit
Our commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
We are an inclusive company and our ambition is to attract, recruit and promote diverse talent.
Why work for Accor?
We are far more than a worldwide leader. We welcome you as you are and you can find a job and brand that matches your personality. We support you to grow and learn every day, making sure that work brings purpose to your life, so that during your journey with us, you can continue to explore Accor’s limitless possibilities.
By joining Accor, every chapter of your story is yours to write and together we can imagine tomorrow's hospitality.
Do what you love, care for the world, dare to challenge the status quo! #BELIMITLESS
Note: Must already be legally entitled to work in Canada to be considered for the position