Bonus eligible, ComplexJob Number
Finance & AccountingLocation
The Westin Copley Place Boston, 10 Huntington Ave, Boston, Massachusetts, United States VIEW ON MAP Schedule
Manages the day-to-day operation of the accounting office and assists the property Director of Finance and Accounting in providing financial leadership to the business. Primary responsibilities include financial analysis and financial reporting, budgeting/forecasting, audit and control, asset and liability reconciliation, working capital and cash control. Assists with capital expenditure plans (Return On Investment Analysis), owner relations and owner reporting.CANDIDATE PROFILE Education and Experience
• 4-year bachelor's degree in Finance and Accounting or related major; no work experience required.CORE WORK ACTIVITIES Leading Accounting Team
• Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
• Celebrates successes and publicly recognizes the contributions of team members.
• Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with employees and ensures employees do the same within the team.
• Leverages strong functional leadership and communication skills to influence the management team and to lead own team.
• Creates a working environment that enables the retention of top talent and where individuals perform at their best.
• Encourages open dialogue between team members.
• Assigns team members and other department managers clear accountability to accomplish goals.
• Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and support the Peer Review Process.
• Uses all available on the job training tools for employees.
• Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.Maintaining Finance and Accounting Goals
• Submits reports in a timely manner, ensuring delivery deadlines.
• Ensures profits and losses are documented accurately.
• Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
• Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
• Monitors all taxes that apply, ensuring that taxes are current, collected and/or accrued.
• Compiles, codes, categorizes, calculates, tabulates, audits, or verifies information or data.
• Maintains a strong accounting & operational control environment to safeguard assets, improve operations and profitability and manage business risks.
• Generates and reviews financial reports that are linked to the plan’s financial goals.Managing Projects and Policies
• Generates and provides accurate and timely results in the form of reports, presentations, etc.
• Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
• Ensures that the P&L is accurate (i.e., costs are properly matched to revenue, costs are recorded in the proper accounts) and statements are delivered to appropriate individuals in a timely manner.
• Reconciles balance sheet and ensures account balances are supported by appropriate documentation in accordance with SOPs.
• Oversees internal, external and regulatory audit processes and ensures compliance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• Produces accurate and timely financial reports to support effective decision making.
• Ensures compliance with standard and local operating procedures (SOPs and LSOPs).
• Ensures tax rates used for sales/use tax are current and proper amounts are collected and/or accrued.
• Documents tax exempt transactions.Demonstrating and Applying Accounting Knowledge
• Demonstrates knowledge of job-relevant issues, products, systems, and processes.
• Uses computers and computer systems (including hardware and software) to program, write software, set up functions, enter data, or process information.
• Uses relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations, or standards.
• Keeps up-to-date technically and applying new knowledge to your job.
• Provides analytical support during budget reviews to identify cost saving and productivity opportunities.Proving Financial Information and Guidance to Others
• Informs and/or updates the executives, the peers and the subordinates on relevant information in a timely manner.
• Provides on going analytical support (e.g., monitoring the operating department’s actual and projected sales and profit and coaches management team to ensure financial goals are met and opportunities are identified and addressed).
• Orients property managers to the accounting function and coaches to effectively manage their departments financial performance.
• Provides meaning or context to the financial results.
• Advises the Director of Finance on existing and evolving operating/financial issues.
• Provide direction and assistance to other organizational units regarding accounting and budgeting policies and procedures, and efficient control and utilization of financial resources.Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
• Ensures team members are cross-trained to support successful daily operations.
• Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
• Ensures new hires participate in the department’s orientation program.
• Ensures new hires receive the appropriate new hire training to successfully perform their job.
• Creates appropriate development plans which develop team members based on their individual strengths, development needs, career aspirations and abilities.Additional Responsibilities
• Provides information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
• Communicates financial concepts in a clear and persuasive manner that is easy to understand and drives desired behaviors.
• Attends critique meetings to review information with management team. Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
At Westin, we are committed to empowering the well-being of our guests by providing a refreshing environment, thoughtful amenities, and revitalizing programming to help ensure that they leave feeling better than when they arrived. We recognize that travel can be disruptive to our guests’ well-being, and we’re energized to assist as partners in helping them maintain control and soaring above it all while on the road. Everything we do is designed to help guests be at their best, and they appreciate our supportive attitude, anticipatory service and extensive knowledge on how to best assist them throughout their stay. We are looking for dynamic people who are excited to join the team and ready to jump into any situation to give a helping hand. If you’re someone who has is positive, adaptable and intuitive, and has a genuine interest in the well-being of others around you, we invite you to discover how at Westin, together we can rise.